24 June 2008

enthusiastic about cycling.

I remember so clearly my first bicycle. It was a Strawberry Shortcake number with training wheels. I received it for my 5th birthday from my dad & stepmom. I was so excited! I road it up & down the block over and over. A few years later I had a royal blue Schwinn with a silver sparkly banana seat. I was on two wheels now & elated. This is the bicycle of my childhood. It was beautiful. So cool. My heart broke when I road it to school the one & only time as I was grossly made fun of for having a "hoopty" bike. It just didn't measure up to the shiny new Huffys everyone else had. While I was still proud of my Schwinn, I never rode it to school again.
My sparkly Schwinn was stolen out of our garage & was later replaced by a yellow Scwhinn just like it only the banana seat had pink flowers on it. (A lot like this one only yellow.) It did the trick, but I never stopped longing for my blue one.

I lost interest in bike riding after I grew out of the Schwinn. I had a scooter, graduated to a 10 speed but never really rode as much as I did in my elementary school years. That is until I met Handsome Randy.

I like to think of Handsome Randy a Cycling Enthusiast. A few months after HR & I met I was setting out to walk somewhere & he offered me a ride. I had no idea he had a car. This is because he rides his bike everywhere year round. He has 6 or 7 bikes in our basement to show for this.

It's slightly contagious.

Within months of HR & I getting together I was revisiting my lost cycling enthusiasm of my youth. A friend gave me an old Sears brand bright green cruiser. Handsome Randy tuned it up for me, I bought a helmut & off I went. Some of my favorite moments of the first Randy & Dahli summer are late night riding home on The Trail.

The following spring, HR helped me pick out a lovely Trek. This bike is great. Burnt orange and rides like a dream, especially after a summer on the Sears cruiser. I started riding to work and last summer, I started to ride a 15 mile loop at least 4 times a week. By the end of the summer, I wanted to ride faster.

A road bike was the answer. This week I found a great used one thanks to the help of HR & our friends spreading the word of my hopes & size. And here she is.

My new Surly Pacer. So pretty. So fast. I can hardly wait to get out & ride her again tomorrow.
xoxx

5 comments:

  1. So cool! Good used bikes are so hard to come by! Especially in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! Thanks for reading!
    Jenny: I know, I feel so very lucky! Too bad we don't live in the same city, your Lemond would compliment my lovely pacer nicely.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome bike! I would love to get a bike here except I think I'd die faster than I could pedal. These drivers are crazy.

    Hey, I changed my blog address: http://mesmers-eyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete