30 March 2009

Music Splurge

Back in the day when I was just out of college & was making very little money, I used to go to my local record store and drool over new music on a very regular basis. In those days I felt proud of myself if I was able to leave without buying anything and about every fourth trip I would do a major splurge & purchase six or seven new CDs spending around $60. $60 was a lot for someone who had about twice that much a month after all her bills were paid (so this was gas money, groceries, etc). But, I was 23 & was willing to starve or eat at my relatives' if it meant having good music to listen to.

Presently my surplus is greater that $120 after all my bills are paid yet I don't splurge on new music. Ever. I can't remember the last time I did it. I guess in my evolution into full blown adulthood I acquired some self restraint when it comes to buying music.

In the last couple of weeks I have realized that I have a little extra cash & have been meaning to make a trip to my neighborhood record store, The Electric Fetus. Tonight I finally made it and had a list of CDs I wanted. I fulfilled the list and so much more. I don't feel the least bit guilty as I did when I was sacrificing my food money, instead I felt fantastic & could hardly wait to listen & blog about them! Stay tuned for thoughts on some of the following...

Jenny Lewis, Acid Tongue
Marvin Gaye, Collections
Antony & The Johnstons, The Crying Light
Thelonious Monk, Prestige Series
Animal Collective, Merriweather Post Pavilion
Lucy Michelle & the Velvet Lapelles, Orange Peels & Rattlesnakes
Neko Case, Middle Cyclone
Handsome Furs, Face Control
Eleni Mandell, Artificial Fire
Mirah, (a)spera

Phew! I've got a lot of listening to do...
xoxx

No comments:

Post a Comment